Categories
Latest entries
15 December 2013:
@Duncansbyhead (Scotland)

12 November 2010:
Le Petit Som (FR) - 9 km

12 September 2010:
Le Charmant Som (FR) - 13 km

Archives
Our stockphotos
You can buy our best photos online now

Royalty vrije Beelden

Sample image

Camus Nan Geall Bay (Scotland)
Camus Nan Geall Bay (SC)
Blogroll
Member of
Bookmark and Share
Syndicate
Search
Tuesday, October 02, 2007
imageOn an early morning in August when the sun was already up and most people were still in bed (and even Elgar the Hiking Moose was enjoying his comfy blankets), we opted for a walk which started....straight from our frontdoor.

It is a part of the walk with nr. 176 (15 km's) from the website Wandelgids zuidlimburg. Due to the foreseen heat that day we were not able to do the whole track. Just too hot to be out there actually.
As always all photo's can be enlarged by clicking on them.



The first kilometer goes through cultivated farmland and at a corner there is the "Waardekapelke", a chapel originally constructed in 1913. After World War II it was renovated and it is being looked after very well by the locals. Fresh flowers, burning candles, just as it should be in a chapel.

imageimage


Then the track goes through a forest and one encounters this huge tower. It is a so-called watertower which was used to provide water for the surrounding villages between 1923 - 1974. Since that time it has fallen into disrepair but there is a project on the way the restore the watertower in all its glory. The view must be breathtaking from above. Hopefully one day everybody can enjoy that.

imageimage


Meanwhile it was getting warmer and warmer. Just look at the bright blue sky and the bright green colors of the meadows. It also triggered a few buzzards to practice their flying skills. As you can see clearly on the picture, the buzzard on the righthandside is a youngster. He/she was 'shouting' of joy the whole time. His father/mother was watching him very carefully.

imageimage


Then the walk goes up a little hill and there is yes.......again another chapel. In the middle of nowhere actually. It is the St. Jozefkapel (St. Jozef chapel, Rimburg) which was erected in 1951 by ex-warriors, for the occasion of their safe return home after World War II. Rimburg has been a battle zone as it is situated exactly on the border with Germany.

image


Finally we leave the forest and arrive at the little township Rimburg. The oldest record of the castle which still can be found in this village (Castle Rimburg) dates back from 1278. Excavations also have shown that the Roman Army have crossed the bridge over the "Worm", a small river which now acts as the border between the Netherlands and Germany. Near that bridge, at the spot where now the castle is situated, there used to be a Roman fortress, all being part of a "Heirbaan" (or Heerbaan), a so-called long distance road, stretching from Cologne, via the Wormdal to Heerlen, Maastricht and Tongeren (in Belgium). So a very historical and picturesque village.

imageimage


As you can see, the white colored house dates back from 1718. Further along we cross the bridge over the "Worm" to Germany. Just imagine that in past times Romans have walked here as well.


imageimage


The picture on the right shows a very old water wheel, obviously no longer in use.

In the meantime the sun is burning very strong and it is time to slowely get back home. We cross again some agricultural farmland and yes........the farmers are working very very hard to get everything done today before the heavy rain, predicted for this afternoon/evening, comes pouring down.

imageimage


Although we walk in this area a lot, and have seen all the chapels and buildings before, we never really did have a good look at them. So in that respect this weblog teaches us to look with different eyes to things than we normally would do.
Elgar the Moose • 01:37 PM • Filed under: Walks • (1) CommentsPermalink

Bookmark and Share

Page 1 of 1 pages